From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: sys-apps/texinfo vs @system
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 18:10:27
1 On Sunday 31 March 2013 05:19:58 Duncan wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger posted on Sun, 31 Mar 2013 01:59:52 -0400 as excerpted:
3 > > it'd be simpler if we just dropped [texinfo] altogether from @system.
4 > > if people want `info`, they can `emerge` it themselves. if packages
5 > > want `makeinfo`, they can DEPEND on it -- few fall into this category
6 > > (<100 by a rough survey of random Gentoo installs).
7 >
8 > Except... at least for those running build-systems, some of those <100
9 > pkgs with hard deps on texinfo include automake, autoconf, gcc, and
10 > e2fsprogs, all of which are pretty core to a gentoo system, at least one
11 > that builds anything.
12
13 any core package that includes info pages should not be regenerating them
14 hence should not need texinfo. i've applied a fix already for gcc to do just
15 that.
16
17 we've already dropped autoconf/automake from @system since the autotools
18 eclass handles that for us.
19
20 other packages might need more work along the same way.
21
22 > Texinfo may be more practical to remove on binpkg-only systems, tho,
23 > which might be what you had in mind, but if there was hint of that I
24 > didn't catch it.
25
26 binpkg or custom ROOTs. both are important to me.
27 -mike