From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Add a KEYWORD representing any arch
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 17:05:28
1 On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 10:46:28 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Instead, we should come up with a clear set of rules under what
5 > circumstances package maintainers are allowed to stabilise ebuilds
6 > themselves on all architectures.
7
8 The cases where stabilisation is important (for security, progress) are
9 usually those where this arbitrary type of stabilisation is not an
10 option, unless we drop all pretence of upholding the dictionary meaning
11 of "stabilisation".
12
13 What we need is architecture teams that clearly do the work (as a team),
14 or we drop their stable status. Recent "advances" in stabilisation
15 practices certainly haven't helped establish a reliable picture of some
16 teams.
17
18 If a team cannot keep up stabilising thousands of packages, then it
19 should focus in the short term on dropping keywords for "extra"
20 packages, and then in the long term focus on getting a reliable base
21 system up to date (i.e. drop all the "fun" keywording and focus on what
22 that platform really must have to get a system running).
23
24 If all that doesn't pan out, then we should set the QA hounds on
25 them. :)
28 jer