From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:08:53
On 1/24/10, Benny Pedersen <me@××××.org> wrote:
> > should not be marked as system ? > > it removes python-wrapper and this remove python link from > /usr/bin/python linked to /usr/bin/python-wrapper so all portage does > not work after this, but i solved it with a quickpkg from another host > > my dump question why is it not listed as a system pkg when it really > seems so important ?
Nearly identical question was mulled over in a discussion last spring over at gentoo-user list. Scan for "ARGH I uninstalled python" in the archives if you are interested. IIRC there was a suggestion to make the system set dynamically grow to contain all of the required dependencies of the packages explicitly listed in the system set, but I'm not sure if it went anywhere. Anyways, the current contents of @system cause all kinds of surprises, for example to FEATURES="buildsyspkg" users who rely on the feature without realizing how small (and even "incomplete") @system actually is. -- Arttu V.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>