From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 14:11:58
1 On 4 December 2011 06:51, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 04:50:00 +0100
3 > Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Subject says it all. More and more bug attachments appear that have
6 >> been generated with non-English locales, and it's a nuisance for both
7 >> bug reporters and bug wranglers to request/provide the sane alternative
8 >> that every developer should be able to read.
9 >
10 > How many times have you needed to request build logs in english since the last
11 > time you brought this up?  How many times have you had to request emerge
12 > --info or build logs in general?
13
14 Surely this can be automated?
15
16 "Error - Bug not filed!
17 No emerge --info attachment detected. Either tag one of your
18 attachments as `emerge --info`, or upload one"
19
20 > I think adding a note to bugzilla reminding reporters that logs need to be in
21 > english would be a better solution than forcing it on everyone.
22
23 Again, automation should be moderately easy to achieve. Having bugzie
24 grep for "Error" / "Warning" in the top ten non-English languages
25 should be enough. On a positive, reject the output with a popup
26 explaining how to get an English version.
29 Am I wrong, or is LC_MESSAGES=C a non-UTF-8 locale? Why is this
30 considered a good idea? Why not en-UTF-8?