From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:50:30
1 On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:51:27 +0100 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > I'd like it spelt out please.
5 >
6 > Here we go:
7 >
8 > > So why not start by imposing deadlines upon more important projects
9 > > like Portage USE deps, [snip]
10 >
11 > USE deps can't be used anyway in EAPI=0 because it would break
12 > current versions of portage. So we need EAPI=1, but you can't say
13 > putting together version 2 of a spec before version 1 was writte is
14 > sane. So we need the EAPI=0 spec. Makes it pretty easy to figure out
15 > why this spec is fairly important.
16
17 I disagree. It's very easy and probably the best way of doing things to
18 say "If ebuilds want to use slot deps, use deps or blah, they set
19 EAPI=1. Otherwise, continue as normal.". So far as I'm aware,
20 everything currently planned for EAPI 1 is an extension, not a change
21 in behaviour.
24 Ciaran McCreesh
25 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
26 Web : http://ciaranm.org/