From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-sound/mpfc/files: mpfc-1.3.7-INT_MAX.patch
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:13:37
1 On Tuesday 26 October 2010 12:11:50 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Monday, October 25, 2010 18:17:21 Alexis Ballier wrote:
3 > > On Monday 25 October 2010 19:06:45 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
4 > > > Il giorno lun, 25/10/2010 alle 18.50 -0300, Alexis Ballier ha scritto:
5 > > > > Am I missing something obvious or is it just hiding a bug in the
6 > > > > linux
7 > > > > headers? I see no usage of INT_MAX in the patched .c file...
8 > > >
9 > > > Upstream seem not to care about fixing that; we used to have a patch to
10 > > > "fix" linux-headers, but Mike dropped it with 2.6.35 to stay as close
11 > > > to upstream as possible.
12 > >
13 > > so now we prefer poor workarounds in dozens of packages to fixing the
14 > > real bug in a single one in order to stay as close as possible to an
15 > > unresponsive upstream? nice
16 >
17 > you're free to argue the merits on lkml like anyone else.
18
19 I thought this was maintainer's job...
20
21 > this package is
22 > going to be broken in pretty much every distro out there, so pushing
23 > limits.h to whichever package's upstream would be useful too.
24
25 I'm sorry, I'm used to push patches I, _at least_, believe to be correct.
28 In any case, there's nothing to argue on my side: you seem very well aware
29 that because you're being lazy to fix the bugs and argue with upstream you are
30 pushing stupid workarounds on others because said package happens to be widely
31 used. Fortunately I never had to face such an issue, even though if I happen
32 to, don't expect me to do anything else than forwarding the bug to the headers
33 maintainers with a rant.
34
35 A.