From: DJ Cozatt <user99@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:21:51
On 13 Apr 2003 18:13:23 -0500
Alec Berryman <alec@×××××××××.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 17:33, Derek J. Belrose wrote: > > Well the X install is in the future it seems. I think gentoo would > > benefit from a cli install/package manager more than it currently has. >
Saw several posts to this thread that included suggestions from other distro's. Did not see the slack pkg managemnt as a suggestion. It is based on ncurses and includes sublevels of install types for "expert" "newbie" and another can't remember the label now(full?). The idea is to give users a choice for controlling installation packages that is consistent with their knowledge level on what is installed. Don't know if it's gpl. There is also a Slackbuild script that does source installs. IIRC