From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:56:27
1 On Saturday 31 July 2004 08:46, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Saturday 31 July 2004 12:09 am, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > I added support for USE-based SLOTs to
4 > > support the third and fourth.
5 >
6 > i know this is off topic of your e-mail, but could you go more into depth
7 > on this ?
8 > CHOST / CCHOST / cross compiling dynamic SLOTs interest embedded very much
9 > -mike
10
11 I'm working on my own portage_ng version. It includes a c++ parser that
12 replaces the bash cruft, is a lot faster, and parses most existing ebuilds.
13 (compilation etc. still happens in bash) (It does not allow at all dynamic
14 behaviour on the toplevel, but it will include a much more flexible
15 dependency structure. On top of that the parser itself does not (yet at
16 least) perform the variable substitution, so the variables are still
17 available for reading. Once I get to that point I will also include some kind
18 of dynamic slot/ multislot feature based on some conditions. It will
19 certainly allow multiple installation of the same version of the same package
20 (think crosscompiling, php for apache1 and apache2) given that they have
21 different MULTISLOT values
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze