From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo as a development platform
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:13:17
1 On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 12:36:19AM +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Quite often, I use Gentoo's from-source nature to my advantage when developing
5 > or testing software packages.
6 >
7 > Gentoo is fairly well oriented for this kind of environment, but it's not
8 > brilliant. As an example, foo-3.2.1 (the latest version) is installed on my
9 > system, but more recently, they fixed a critical bug in the upstream CVS tree
10 > which I'd like to test the fix for. It's not dead simple for me to do this - I
11 > want to use the CVS sources with the ebuild already in portage. I have to use
12 > "ebuild foo-3.2.1.ebuild unpack" to extract the sources, then manually replace
13 > them with my CVS checkout. Or checkout CVS, make a new tarball, call it
14 > foo-3.2.1.tar.bz2, redigest and remerge the ebuild. Or I could create a
15 > foo-cvs ebuild and go to the trouble of making it mirror the contents of
16 > foo-3.2.1.ebuild exactly.
17 Tarball up the snapshot, ensure the ebuild relies on $PV for
18 discerning what tarball to unpack (src_uri="http://download.berlios.de/${PN}/${PF}.tar.bz2" fex)
19 and all you have to do is rename the ebuild to the snapshot tag....
20 ~brian
21 --
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list