From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vim spell files
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:15:05
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Vim 7 includes a native spellchecker. It uses its own spell file
3 > format which can be created using Myspell *.aff/*.dic files (the same
4 > as for Mozilla and OpenOffice). The spell files are rather large, so
5 > it's not feasible to bundle them with vim unconditionally.
6
7 are them interchangeable?
10 > Building a spell file from source is tricky and requires huge amounts
11 > of RAM and some fairly obscure dependencies. Upstream ship pre-built
12 > spell files, and I believe it would make most sense for us to use
13 > those.
14
15 I second that.
18 > Note that spell files have to be generated for each internal character
19 > set that may be used. This generally means utf-8 (used by gtk2/qt gvim
20 > internally no matter what) and the appropriate iso-8859- code for the
21 > country in question.
24 That should cover most uses.
27 > Questions:
28 >
29 > * app-vim or app-dicts for the spell files?
30
31 app-dicts if they can be non vim only...
34 > * Will there be sufficient interest from other developers to make this
35 > worthwhile?
36
37 if is vim only I'm not sure.
40 > * Is anyone going to get upset about the character set decisions?
43 As usual I'm afraid...
44
45 > * Does anyone think we should make users build spell lists from source,
46 > even though it can require several GBytes of RAM?
47
48 Only if requested by user (think about an useflag)
49
50 lu
54 Luca Barbato
55
56 Gentoo/linux Developer Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
57 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero
60 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list