From: Fabian Neumann <fab1206@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Let portage symlink latest version of installed docs
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 15:57:33
1 Hi Gentoo devs,
2
3 The Problem: I'd like to have bookmarks for my most used documentation
4 in my browser. E.g., for the Python documentation this would be
5 file:///usr/share/doc/python-docs-2.4.2/html/index.html. But as the
6 version number is included in the path, I have to update the bookmark
7 every time portage installs a new version of Python.
8
9 What I'd like portage do to is to create a symlink to the latest version
10 of a package's documentation. Just omitting the version number would of
11 course not work as slotted packages may have multiple versions of docs
12 installed. The first format coming to my mind would be:
13
14 /usr/share/doc/python-docs-latest -> /usr/share/doc/python-docs-2.4.2
15
16 If that's impossible because of some Linux standards (I'm really not
17 familiar with POSIX, LSB, File System Hierarchy or stuff like this) we
18 could use a special directory for this, maybe /usr/share/doc/.latest or
19 /usr/share/portage/latest-docs or something similar -- you get the point.
20
21 We could of course make this optional with a USE flag. In face we have
22 already the symlink flag that does basically the task for the kernel
23 versions. I don't know if it'd be clever to use it or if we should
24 consider introducing "symlink-docs" for this.
25
26 I hope this informal proposal initializes a discussion and I would be
27 very happy to see it in some standardized way in future *-doc-ebuilds.
28
29 Thanks,
30 Fabian.
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list