From: William McArthur <sandymac@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] installing using ppp connection.
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 17:31:17
1 Gentoo isn't modem friendly. On my newest gentoo workstation which is
2 about a week old I've already downloaded over 500megs of source
3 packages. While it is possible to download this over a modem it won't be
4 fun.
5
6 Do you have a friend with a DSL/Cable Modem connection? If not, is there
7 a local LUG you can join? Someone there will definatly have access to a
8 fast connection.
9
10 If you want a server type box, no xfree/kde/gui just the console, then
11 you can probably get away with starting at stage 3. I'd guess the
12 required downloads for that setup would be near 100megs.
13
14 Gentoo isn't everything to everyone. Know your needs and available
15 resources and reconsider if Gentoo is right for you.
16
17 Sandy McArthur