From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Undocumented and unused USE variables
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:54:36
1 Rich Freeman posted on Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:01:43 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Christoph Niethammer
4 > <christoph.niethammer@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Here the euse command is realy handy. :-)
6 >> However the sysfs USE flag is still hiding its documentation.
7 >> So lets see if this is a bug or a feature. ;-)
8 >
9 > Yup, euse is helpful, or you can grep /usr/portage/profiles/use.*
10 > (including the local version).
11
12 FWIW, there's also equery uses (or just equery u), part of gentoolkit
13 along with euse. But you run equery uses against a specific package, so
14 "equery u portage" for instance. Where USE flags have a package-specific
15 meaning, it's printed, and I've come to prefer equery u's output to euse -
16 i's.
17
18 FWIW(2), I'd suggest reading the equery manpage and getting familiar with
19 all of its actions. At least here, I find it QUITE a useful command. =:^)
20
21 There's also portage-utils and I believe a few other alternatives.
22 Personally, I prefer equery, but I have portage-utils installed, as I'll
23 see an occasional post-install message recommending a query using portage-
24 utils, and it's easier to just have it installed than it is to figure out
25 exactly what the query does and translate it to a equery.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman