From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: adding sbin directories to PATH for all users
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 15:12:18
1 On 26/11/2015 17:03, Duncan wrote:
2 > Kristian Fiskerstrand posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:15:37 +0100 as
3 > excerpted:
4 >
5 >> On 11/25/2015 09:16 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
6 >>> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
7 >>> wrote:
8 >>>> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 11:18:34 -0800 Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
9 >>>> wrote:
10 >>>>> Maybe I'm missing something, but `df` is in /bin. Do you use
11 >>>>> something else to determine free space?
12 >>>>
13 >>>> btrfs fi df
14 >>>
15 >>> In thins case, upstream's build system installs everything in bindir,
16 >>> which I override to /sbin. I think that's where the ebuild was
17 >>> installing things when I inherited it from the previous maintainer.
18 >>>
19 >>> If William's PATH proposal is not implemented, I would be happy to move
20 >>> it all to /bin if so desired. Just file a bug.
21 >>
22 >> If moving it in the first place, wouldn't it go to /usr/bin as not being
23 >> essential to system?
24 >
25 > It's essential to system, as btrfs device scan is needed before mounting
26 > a multi-device btrfs, and btrfs check is a an fsck that may be needed to
27 > fix a broken btrfs /usr/ mount.
28 >
29 > Else reiserfsck, e2fsck, fsck itself, and others, should be in /usr/sbin,
30 > not in /sbin/.
31 >
32 > btrfs is the general userspace binary. Subcommands such as check and
33 > device scan require device privs and don't normally work when run as
34 > ordinary users, but some subcommands such as filesystem df don't need
35 > device privs and work just fine when run as ordinary users.
36 >
37 > (Not that I particularly care about the topic of the thread in general,
38 > as here: /sbin -> bin, /usr -> ., so all four locations, /bin, /sbin,
39 > /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, point to the same single /bin, and I no longer have
40 > to worry about which dir something's in, unless I'm checking the
41 > canonical path as installed by the package, for which equery belongs
42 > works nicely. But I'm a btrs user and upstream btrfs list regular so I
43 > care about that angle, thus this reply. =:^)
46 Picking a random (i.e. most recent) post to reply to.
47
48 I don't really care what the default PATH is, I always set it to my
49 liking anyway. I understand all the historical arguments but I don't
50 think they matter too much these days anymore as times and OSes do change.
51
52 I feel that the / vs /usr split is rather pointless on modern systems,
53 but I do like the bin vs sbin split because it makes my life easier
54 (which is the entire point of any env var when you think about it). When
55 working as a user I'd rather not have my tab completion results
56 cluttered with apps I have to be root to use properly.
57
58 I vote to leave things as they are, and I also vote for showing people
59 who don;t like it how to change $PATH
62 Alan McKinnon
63 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com