From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stable sys-devel/gcc USE flag changes
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:39:28
1 On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 > Bikeshedding, but I'm thinking that it would be better to provide a
3 > whole separate command for this rather than a quicker convenience
4 > option -- the command would, for instance, also include @world as the
5 > target by default. As for the options, i'd recommend adding --ask and
6 > - --verbose
7 >
8 > The advantage I see for it being an extra command is that it's a clear
9 > one-purpose convenience command; while if we use the '-U' option
10 > there'll be others that will probably add additional modifier options
11 > and possibly also use it against targets other than @world; i'm not
12 > sure if we'd want people to do that by default..
13
14 Yeah, but this is another command to remember. Since the purpose is
15 quite similar to other emerge actions, I think it should just be
16 provided by emerge (and documented clearly up top in man emerge and
17 emerge -h).
18
19 I was rather wondering about the other direction: include --deep and
20 --reinstall=changed-use in an --update action. This would actually
21 make more sense to me; I think those options still make sense for
22 single-package or other-set emerges?
23
24 I don't mind adding --ask and --verbose, but I think they should be
25 orthogonal. Some of this I guess depends on it being a separate
26 command. I think the better solution is to just provide a clear path
27 to upgrades, i.e. an -u/--update action with better defaults (even if
28 the backwards compatibility might be a little crappy -- might deserve
29 a news item).
30
31 BTW, what happened with -u? I still use it because I'm used to it, but
32 it seems to have gone away (i.e. I can't find it in the current man
33 page).
34
35 Cheers,
36