From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Do we need games group and all that game prefixes?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 16:26:53
1 Hello,
2
3 In today's MythBusters™: do we actually need the whole ugly-awful
4 mangling games.eclass does for games? By that I mean:
5 - installing games in random pre-/postfixes rather than standard FHS-y
6 locations,
7 - changing ownership and permissions of all the files.
8
9 Do we really need all of this poor man's 'you shall not play our
10 games'? I don't think we're using anything like /usr/office & office
11 group, or /usr/random-programs-i-dont-like.
12
13 Random obscurity only makes things harder. And proves no point unless
14 we're going to ensure that all web browsers, ssh clients and other
15 applications in danger of being used to play games. And while we're at
16 it, why don't we just take the computer away and work on paper sheets?
17 Oh wait, someone could play tic-tac-toe on it...
18
19 So, my proposition is: finally drop that. Install games in regular
20 prefixes, like all other apps. Don't pollute systems with unnecessary
21 security perimeters which don't provide any real benefit.
22
23 Any comments?
26 Best regards,
27 Michał Górny