From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gcc-4.8 may be needed in stable for www-client/chromium-38.x
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:31:13
1 Looks like www-client/chromium is going to start using c++11 seriously
2 and require gcc-4.8+, see thread
3 <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/chromium-packagers/fvJvPG8fa7I/iWPEsUxhKikJ>
4
5 This is in the dev channel for now, but given the 6 weeks release cycle
6 it'll go to stable in about 3 months, and every time it's a security update.
7
8 I'm trying to get Gentoo prepared now, and so what are our chances to
9 get gcc-4.8 to stable by that time?
10
11 Possible alternative solutions:
12
13 1. Depend on clang, and force the build to use it. Possible problem with
14 this is that since chromium uses very bleeding edge clang, this can put
15 some strain on our system clang just as well.
16
17 2. Patch chromium to make it compile with gcc-4.7. This is almost always
18 technically possible, but can be a maintainability burden, especially if
19 upstream doesn't accept some parts of the patches. Also, there are known
20 problem with chromium, c++11 and gcc-4.7
21 (<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/chromium-dev/NrtrEnoMH6g/ERRiVAQcE18J>
22 , although Gentoo is not affected by this one because we have newer dbus).
23
24 WDYT?
25
26 Paweł