From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Merging or overwriting KEYWORDS from eclass
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:06:05
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 01:53:55AM +0200, Robert Buchholz wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I've stumbled upon an inconsitency between package managers the other
7 >> day [1], which was due to both an ebuild and an eclass defining
8 >> inconsisting KEYWORDS.
9 >>
10 >> bla-1.ebuild:
11 >> inherit myeclass
12 >> KEYWORDS="~arch"
13 >>
14 >> myeclass.eclass:
15 >> KEYWORDS="arch"
16 >>
17 >> Portage will resolve this by overwriting the variable, so the last
18 >> (~arch) wins. Paludis, on the other hand, merges the variables, so it
19 >> is KEYWORDS="~arch arch".
20 >>
21 >> The PMS draft [2] defines that "IUSE, DEPEND, RDEPEND and PDEPEND"
22 >> variables be merged when defined in both eclass and ebuild (Section
23 >> 7.2), but only says "May be de?ned in an eclass" about KEYWORDS
24 >> (Section 8.2).
25 >>
26 >> Anyone up to toss a coin whose bug it is, and maybe we can have a more
27 >> specific wording in the PMS?
28 >
29 > Paludis bug; if you want KEYWORDS incremental, it'll need to be in
30 >>=eapi2, too nasty of a change to shoehorn into existing (in use)
31 > eapis.
32
33 hmm, the program you use for posting should really have a delay function in
34 case you respond too fast (1:25 according to my news reader, gmane and the
35 assumption clocks are in sync).
36
37 well, if the PMS doesn't say anything about it, it's a lack of specification
38 and not a bug of a package manager.
39
40 Can you please give more info why this is "too nasty"?
41
42 Cheers,
43 Tiziano
47 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list