From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Init replacement
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 19:56:51
1 On Friday 02 May 2003 21:23, Wouter van Kleunen wrote:
2 >
3 > For example firewall generators generate init scripts. And sysvinit
4 > frontends (KDE has a frontend) uses it. I think also mandrake has a
5 > frontend for selecting which services get booted. I dunno about suse or
6 > red hat. I don't say these distro's should immediatly start using this
7 > init. But your claim that only 1 program parses these files is not true.
8
9 Firewall generators generate scripts to stard firewalls. As long as they just
10 output a simple script, any kind of init system can be used to execute them.
11 selecting frontends do not generate scripts. They do not look into them, they
12 just make symlinks
13
14 > The same goes for all these init methods. Every distro uses a different
15 > init method
16
17 That's true, I guess its basically because the s??[name] way sucks in
18 combination with tools (as there are only 100 positions, and there is no
19 standardized way to know at which position a package should be
20 started/stoped.
21
22 Paul
25 Paul de Vrieze