From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Revisiting GLEP 81 (acct-*) policies (reviews, cross-distro syncing)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 17:47:31
1 >>>>> On Mon, 09 Dec 2019, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2
3 > Make complete SYS_UID_MIN - SYS_UID_MAX range available for GLEP 81.
4
5 > The only argument/reason I am aware of, "but 501-999 could be used by
6 > system" (Dynamic allocation by user.eclass), isn't strong enough from my
7 > POV because system administrator can already pick something between
8 > SYS_UID_MIN-MAX so system must be already capable of dealing with such
9 > scenarios. So why do you think this range must be reserved? Isn't
10 > blocking 501-999 just another random choice?
11
12 > Therefor I would change the recommendation to pick highest free number.
13 > I.e. it should be recommended to pick the lowest free UID/GID pair
14 > instead (just to avoid fragmentation and keep 501+ free as long as
15 > possible).
16
17 One problem with that is that at some time user.eclass dynamically
18 allocated IDs starting at 101 upwards, and later this was changed to 999
19 downwards (at different times for UIDs and GIDs). So for existing
20 systems you can expect some range above 101 and some range below 999 to
21 be occupied. So it may not be the best idea to start picking IDs from
22 101 upwards, which are most likely to collide.
23
24 If the range below 500 should fill up completely, we can always
25 reconsider.
26
27 Ulrich