From: Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: amateur radio applications should not be in media-radio
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:48:56
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:27:47 -0500
William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:

> All, > > I have recently noticed that our amateur radio applications are in the > category media-radio. > > Amateur Radio is not considered part of the media, so I would like to > propose renaming this category to app-hamradio, or possibly moving the > amateur radio applications to app-hamradio if there are things in > media-radio which are not amateur radio related. >
I like the idea very much. But I am an radio amateur and therefore I am a little bit biased :). I was always confused to find them in media-radio. If we do the move please count on me. But to be honest there are some amateur (ham) radio related packages in other categories too (e.g. app-misc/aldo - a cw morse trainer, app-text/7plus - a packet radio text encoder, ..). So maybe a general cleanup would be good. A quick count in media-radio gives 12 packages for amateur radio and 2 others (the second one coming in just today). In sunrise there are 11 amateur radio related packages and 0 others. That means a move to app-hamradio would leave media-radio nearly empty. Regards Thomas.