From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 00:15:51
1 Michał Górny posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 10:05:06 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > ==Backwards Compatibility==
4 > Most of the new policy will apply to the commits following its approval.
5 > Backwards compatibility is not relevant there.
6
7 s/Backwards/Backward/ (both header and body)
8
9 "Backwards" is a regionalism I too have problems with (as a native
10 USian with time in the former Crown colony Kenya and exposure to various
11 European and Asian as well as widely dispersed USian usage. According
12 to the wictionary entry, "backward" is strictly speaking the adjective in
13 British English, "backwards" the adverb, while in the US, the usage is
14 more flexible/regional and may be reversed.
15
16 But (when I catch myself) I always try to use "backward", because the
17 addition of the terminating "s" adds no meaning and has come to sound
18 like "hick-speak" to my ear.
19
20 Regardless, in this instance "backward" is used as an adjective, so the
21 stricter "backward" should sound find to the British ear, while being at
22 least flexibly tolerated to the American ear even if their particular
23 region reverses it.
24
25 (Besides, "backwards compatibility" sounds... like something my car
26 lacked when I was trying to teach someone to drive, after they jammed the
27 transmission in reverse while going forward. Hmm... Maybe I favor the
28 -s form as adverb more than I thought. =:^)
29
30 > One particular point that affects commits retroactively is the OpenPGP
31 > signing. However, it has been an obligatory requirement enforced by the
32 > infrastructure since the git switch. Therefore, all the git history
33 > conforms to that.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman