From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving repoman checking, better idea (add arch.desc file)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 15:05:20
1 So I've been talking to kent\n and the conclusion is that our ideas basically
2 do and achieve the same, with a slightly different approach. (I still like
3 mine better though. :)
4
5 However one valid point that came up in discussions is - whether an arch
6 supports stable keywords is a per-arch setting, not a per-profile setting. So
7 we can actually make things much easier (and the transition safer).
8
9 Proposal No 2:
10 * Leave profiles.desc unmodified
11 * Introduce a new file arch.desc, which contains the "stability status" of an
12 arch;
13
14 Syntax: 2 columns,
15 # arch status
16 amd64 stable
17 mips testing
18 sh unstable
19
20 The meaning of the keywords "stable", "testing", "unstable" is the same as in
21 the previous proposal,
22
23 > "Does this arch support stable keywords, and how should "arch" vs. "~arch"
24 > be treated?"
25 > - "stable": separately check consistency of ~arch and arch tree, both have
26 > to be OK. This is what repoman is doing now, and is the default if the 4th
27 > column is undefined.
28 > - "testing": treat "arch" as "~arch" when requiring consistency, do not
29 > check "arch" alone. Useful if an arch wants to prepare going stable, useful
30 > for arch teams maintaining a pseudo-stable subset for stages. repoman could
31 > have a new command line switch that temporarily upgrades from "testing" to
32 > "stable" (for arch team work).
33 > - "unstable": check "~arch" only, "arch" in an ebuild produces a fatal
34 > repoman error
35
36 The combination of current profiles.desc and new arch.desc provides the same
37 flexibility as in the previous e-mail.
38
39 Compatibility and transition:
40
41 0) PMS should be amended to allow the additional file.
42
43 1) Compatibility: No arch.desc and new system, or arch not listed in arch.desc
44 *Arches* are treated as "stable" by repoman (current behaviour), with profile
45 status according to profiles.desc.
46 Gentoolkit and other tools trying to determine a list of stable arches should
47 fall back to current method of scanning profiles.desc for stable profiles.
48
49 2) Compatibility: arch.desc and old system
50 Tools ignore the unknown file (?).
51 Repoman and other tools may emit surplus errors when profiles are checked on
52 arches that are "testing" (they check the consistency of the stable tree
53 alone, which is not OK, since "arch" is supposed to be treated like "~arch").
54
55 3) On introduction of the new column, it will be set to "stable" for all
56 stable arches, "testing" for all arches where "inofficial" stable keywords
57 exist (sh, s390, ...), and "unstable" everywhere else.
58
59 4) Arches in "testing" or "unstable" may eventually consider re-introducing
60 stable *profiles* so their deptree in ~arch remains consistent.
61
62 More opinions, flames, cookies?
63
64 Cheers, Andreas
68 Andreas K. Hüttel
69 dilfridge@g.o
70 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)