From: Dan Armak <ermak@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dan: about your version question
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 01:27:29
1 Hi,
2
3 Thanks for the reply. My most important question is still unanswered however:
4 the one about versioning.
5 To summarize my previous post: CVS-derived packages can't be compared,
6 version-wise, with 'release' versions. A CVS package installed _now_ is
7 always the latest version, since it comes straight from CVS. But, a CVS
8 package installed any number of days ago may or may not be new enough. So, we
9 can't know whether or not dependencies are being satisfied. (Unless we put a
10 timestamp on all release versions added to Portage.)
11
12 A better idea I just had: if Portage can be _really_ integrated with cvs
13 management, we can fetch the _release_ version from CVS also! So, some
14 packages would go into "cvs mode", and would fetch either the specified
15 release version, or the latest release version, or the current version -
16 depending on the user's global/specific preferences. And then we could query
17 the CVS server for dates of release versions!
18
19 What do you think?
20
21 Dan