From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IPython 7.17 drops Python 3.6 support AKA upgrade reminder
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 16:42:25
1 On Sat, 2020-08-01 at 12:25 +0200, Lars Wendler wrote:
2 > On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 12:19:13 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Sat, 2020-08-01 at 06:15 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > > On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:29 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
6 > > > wrote:
7 > > > > I would like to take this as an opportunity to remind you to port
8 > > > > your packages to Python 3.7 and 3.8. According to our timeline
9 > > > > [1], packages that are not ported by the end of the year are going
10 > > > > to be last rited. We would also like to switch to 3.8 in December.
11 > > > >
12 > > > > [1]
13 > > > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Implementations#Implementation_support_timeline
14 > > >
15 > > > So, has anybody given thought to publishing a list of packages that
16 > > > still need to be updated, including their maintainers?
17 > > >
18 > > > Or perhaps filing bugs?
19 > > >
20 > > > Or is the plan to go ahead and watching nothing happen for the next
21 > > > few months, then start masking hundreds of packages, and then watch
22 > > > devs scramble to fix problems they didn't realize existed?
23 > > >
24 > >
25 > > Or perhaps you'd like to help out instead of wasting your own
26 > > and everybody else's time on talking?
29 > Honestly... seeing such replies from you
30
31 I am sorry, I shouldn't have lost it. However, I suppose you can
32 understand how I feel putting a lot of effort into it and hearing
33 someone insinuate stuff like this without even checking that I've filed
34 the bugs a few months ago.
35
36 > or knowing that you do not
37 > hesitate to hit other devs with your full QA deputy power once they
38 > dare to touch python packages is not motivating in any way to even
39 > consider helping you.
42 I would really appreciate if you didn't make such statements in public
43 without verifying your claims first. I have never had any problems with
44 people either joining Python team or 'touching Python packages', as long
45 as they follow the same standards as people in Python team do.
46
47 For example, this means *testing* packages. I don't see a problem with
48 people adding py3.8 to packages. I do have a problem when people add
49 py3.8 when there are explicit test regressions with py3.8.
50
51 I might be wrong but I think it's a common sense and not something
52 specific to Python team that you're supposed not to break stuff.
53 Especially when you don't maintain that stuff and the resulting fallout
54 is going to hit somebody else.
55
56 Furthermore, I have no clue what 'full QA deputy power' is. I don't
57 know what's your source, and I can only guess what person are you
58 referring to. However, there's no such thing as 'QA deputy power', QA
59 is making decisions as a team and I don't think there was any
60 disciplinary action taken recently.
63 Best regards,
64 Michał Górny