From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc stabilization update
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 02:09:08
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 06:05:46AM +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:57 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote: > > I suppose one question I need to ask is the oldnet vs newnet question. > > The git repository defaults to building and installing the newnet > > option, and we make oldnet the default in the ebuild. > > > > People migrating from stable will know the oldnet option, and this is > > the only way to configure the network scripts that is actually covered > > in our documentation. > > > > Do we want to switch the upstream repository to make oldnet the default? > > > > What about newnet. ??Should we keep it at all? ??If we do, should we put > > it behind a use flag which would be off by default? > > > > Is there any advantage to using newnet over oldnet? If there aren't > any advantages, we should not attempt to support it (even as an > optional feature). Old-net by default, no use-flag for newnet; people > can use EXTRA_ECONF if they *really* want to use it.
If I go this route, I'll probably just get rid of newnet in the next release entirely. newnet is a single script, "network", which sets up all of the static routes and static interfaces. It is small and simple, but the disadvantage of it is that you can't stop/start a single interface. William

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc stabilization update Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc stabilization update "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>