From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] extending existing EAPI semantics
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 04:35:29
1 Mike Kelly wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 >> One thing I'll note is that the .ebuild-$EAPI approach isn't the end
4 >> all fix to versioning extensions that y'all represent it as.
5 >> Essentially, what .ebuild-$EAPI allows is additions to version
6 >> comparison rules, no subtractions. Each new $EAPI *must* be a
7 >> superset of previous $EAPIs.
8 >
9 > Uhh... no. Just like how older package managers which don't understand
10 > how to read the EAPI from a filename suffix would basically ignore the
11 > new ebuilds, any package manager that can, but doesn't recognize the
12 > eapi of the new one, will just ignore it. It won't ever try to figure
13 > out its version or anything, it'll just do nothing.
14 >
15 > Also, there is absolutely no reason for all future EAPIs to be a
16 > superset of old eapis. While paludis (and presumably pkgcore and
17 > portage, I'm not as familiar with their code) has implemented EAPI=1 as
18 > a few additions to EAPI=0, there is no reason that gentoo might not
19 > decide to have EAPI=9000 some day, complete with artificial intelligence
20 > that completely obsoletes USE flags, or some such thing (it's late, I
21 > know the analogy sucks).
24 Assuming we won't move from flat file to db
25
26 lu - thinking of a darker future.
31 Luca Barbato
32 Gentoo Council Member