From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Regarding the State of PaX in the tree
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 09:14:50
1 Hi,
2
3 I honestly don't see how it would be feasible to maintain a feature
4 that the developers maintaining it have access to.
5
6 I get that this whole pax-thing embodies a huge part of Gentoo history
7 and it may feel hard for some to let it go. But things are how they are.
8
9 Regarding the fork states: I followed up on minipli's fork, which
10 tried to maintain newer patches of grsec for LTS kernels, but that
11 essentially stopped after KPTI/meltdown/retpoline. From what I know
12 there's no public grsec patch with kpti or any spectre fixes, thus I
13 would very much say you're safer these days with an upstream kernel.
14
15 I think the only realistic way this support can be upheld would be if
16 some people who have access to the grsec sources commit to making sure
17 that it is maintained.
20 There's also another question related to this: What's the future for
21 Gentoo hardened?
22 From what I can tell hardened consists of:
23 * the things that try to make it compatible with grsec/pax
24 (more or less obsolete).
25 * things that are now in default profiles anyway (aslr, stack
26 protector).
27 * things that probably should be in default profiles (relro, now linker
28 flags)
29 * -fstack-check, which should eventually be replaced with
30 -fstack-clash-protection (only available in future gcc's) and that
31 should probably also go into default profiles.
32 * Furthermore hardened disables some useful features due to their
33 incompatibility with pax (e.g. sanitizers).
34
35 So it's stuff that either is obsolete or probably should be a candidate
36 for main profiles. Maybe we should strive for "hardened-by-default".
39 Hanno Böck
40 https://hboeck.de/
41
42 mail/jabber: hanno@××××××.de
43 GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42