From: Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: UPower upstream (git master) and 0.99 release -> No sys-power/pm-utils support anymore
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 01:21:07
1 On 06/03/2014 08:24 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:55:50 +0800
3 > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
4
5 [Lots of comments about upower updates and interactions between
6 systemd and Open-rc...]
7
8 I'm sorry, but it seems to me that this is *another* power grab by the
9 "systemd Cabal."
10
11 More and more a small group of developers are making
12 non-well-thought-out changes to the Linux environment that have the
13 effect of pushing systemd as the default model for init systems.
14
15 First, they abrogated the FHS by putting boot necessary stuff in the
16 /usr hierarchy (deliberately ignoring the FHS rationale and history)
17 forcing many users to redo systems to not have separate /usr trees.
18
19 Then, they "steal" a general kernel command line parameter (debug) that
20 makes booting impossible in certain cases. (Linus had to put his foot
21 down on that one.)
22
23 And now, another useful process is forced to make workarounds for users
24 so that they don't get switched to systemd willy-nilly.
25
26 (Don't get me started on the GD linkage between Gnome and systemd!)
27
28 As one of the uncredited makers of the SysV init system (I was a lowly
29 consultant sysadmin during the Unix System IV roll out) I know more of
30 the history than most. SysV init "punted" the hard problem of getting
31 sequencing and dependency during startup to the more agile mind of a
32 human because we didn't have the time to develop a general dependency
33 solver for the boot sequence. (And someone who was supposed to document
34 that need for examination in the SysV development cycle seems ti have
35 neglected the item.)
36
37 OpenRC does some logical and straight-forward extensions to the SysV
38 paradigm and handles the problem well enough. SystemD goes for a total
39 rewrite (and suffers second system syndrome) and seems to be
40 masterminded by folks with Napoleonic ideation.
41
42 Mind you, I am *not* anti-systemd. In many ways it is a good system that
43 automates a lot of stuff that needed automation. I just have some
44 strong disagreements with some of the choices its implementors and
45 advocates have made in relation to other aspects of system management.
46
47 I have thought that Linux and the FOSS movement was about user choice.
48 Not a small band of folks deciding that "users" shouldn't be expected to
49 know what their systems are doing under-the-hood and forcing that vision
50 on everyone, whether they want it or not.
51
52 I moved to Gentoo (from a long history with RedHat and then Fedora)
53 because it seemed to me that the concept of maximum choice was a
54 treasured and honored position. Recent events, however, seem to indicate
55 that even here in Gentoo-land there is a power struggle occurring. As
56 I'm getting to the stage of being a "senior citizen" I probably will not
57 have to deal with the fallout of this struggle for too long, but it
58 disheartens me to see it occurring.