From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Integrating Portage with other package managers
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 20:35:38
1 On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 03/07/2018 12:52 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I'm really not happy with the tone of this email, so I'm going to
6 > > comment on it a bit.
9 > Ok, it would have benefited from a do-I-sound-like-a-dick proofread. I
10 > don't want to sound discouraging because this is an area with lots of
11 > room for improvement. A better conclusion:
12 >
13 > Ultimately, people want to integrate the various PMs with portage
14 > because portage is pretty good at keeping your system reliable,
15 > up-to-date, and secure. The language-specific PMs on the other hand only
16 > care about ease of use and how fast they can get bleeding-edge releases
17 > to you. Having both would be ideal, but if we simply shell out to the
18 > language-specific PM, then that would sidestep the good parts of portage
19 > making the integration pointless. The time and attention involved in
20 > ebuild packaging turn out to be critical parts of the product.
23 I really appreciate this reply. I also think that portage provides a lot of
24 value (particularly for complex projects that are perhaps not
25 so well suited for use with the less featureful tooling.)
26
27 -A