From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /var/ftp VS /home/ftp
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:58:08
1 At 2005-03-21T14:16:12+0200, Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 11:53 +0000, Carlos Silva wrote:
3 > > If we are going to follow the FHS standards
4 >
5 > We do not follow FHS as such, but rather we agree to do things
6 > according to the FHS where they are sane, and suite our purpose (think
7 > /usr/kde which is really not FHS complaint).
8
9 Or /usr/portage, which is also not really FHS compliant.
10
11 Wonderful thing about standards in the technical community. There's no
12 way to force them on an unwilling populace, so the stupid ones just die
13 (e.g. /srv, /media). Good ideas like clearing all the effluvia out of
14 /usr/* and /var/* sometimes survive.
15
16 Bravo, btw, to those who wrestled /usr/X11R6 into a compatibility
17 symlink, even though the FHS makes an exception and allows it.
18
19 Personally, I'd like to see some consistency in the "home directory" of
20 services. I can accept the point of those who disagree with creating
21 /srv in order to accomplish that, though. There are plenty of other
22 places to which services can be shuffled. /var/{cache,lib,spool} and
23 /home work great. Generally, I don't have a problem with whatever the
24 devs decide, as long as I can correct it to my own tastes in the
25 configuration.
28 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
29 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
30 --Ghost in the Shell