From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages that explicitly DEPEND on sys-apps/sed
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 05:00:55
1 On 06/13/2011 08:58 PM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > Judging from [1], a couple of thousands of ebuilds DEPEND on
3 > sys-apps/sed, which is a system package (in profiles/base/packages)
4 > since at least 2004. It boils down to some 2535 ebuilds, 1409 packages
5 > and 14 eclasses, some requiring a version as high as 4.0.5, which went
6 > stable in 2003.
7 >
8 > What do you say. Do we keep them or prune them from the tree?
9
10 It's worth noting that stage1 and stage2 tarballs do not contain full
11 system sets. Therefore, we can't assume that sys-apps/sed will be
12 included in those stages unless we use something other than the system
13 set to pull it into the stage1. A couple of possible a solutions are:
14
15 A) Modify $PORTDIR/scripts/bootstrap.sh to ensure that sed is installed
16 in stage1.
17
18 B) Keep a sys-apps/sed dependency in the sys-apps/portage ebuilds, so
19 that bootstrap.sh will pull sed into stage1 as a dependency of
20 sys-apps/portage.
23 Thanks,
24 Zac