From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:39:13
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 28/07/14 10:43 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:30:15 -0400 Ian Stakenvicius
6 > <axs@g.o> wrote:
7 >> On 26/07/14 11:22 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>> Let's start with the easiest issue: please point us all to the
10 >>> place where you "proved" how dynamic dependencies still work in
11 >>> the face of ebuild removals. Your solution to this problem will
12 >>> be of great benefit to all of us.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> This is something I personally don't understand. If an ebuild
16 >> for a package installed on the system has been removed from the
17 >> tree, but newer and/or older ebuilds exist in the tree, then the
18 >> installed package can #1 only be trusted in accordance with the
19 >> ebuild copy enbedded in VDB (that i get), BUT, #2 should be
20 >> forced to either upgrade or downgrade so that it matches what
21 >> *is* in the tree anyhow, and that's done via a standard ${PV}
22 >> comparison that should happen regardless of whether static or
23 >> dynamic deps methods are in place.
24 >
25 > But you can't run pkg_prerm unless a package's dependencies are
26 > satisfied. How do you know what those dependencies are, if you
27 > don't use VDB and if the ebuild isn't there?
28 >
29 > (This is a real issue: see the botched ruby-config switch.)
32 Yes, that's an issue -- I thought the pkg-*rm case had to do with the
33 ebuild's phase definition itself being (or not being) updated, I
34 haddn't thought about it in terms of dependencies being unsatisfied.
35
36 Keeping every single dependency around and valid just so that pkg_*rm
37 can completely cleanly seems like so much overkill, though..
38 Unfortunately the only way I see around that would be to have some
39 form of reduced subset, which would mean yet-another-*DEPEND, and we
40 all know that's not going to happen..
41
42 I wonder if there would be a way to somehow add restrictions to
43 pkg_*rm phases s.t. either REPLACED_BY_VERSION's dependencies must be
44 satisfied at the time the phases are run, or REPLACED_BY_VERSION is
45 empty and the in-VDB ones must be satisfied. It'll be a pain for
46 dev's to make sure their stuff works within these restrictions, and
47 the likeliness of repoman being able to enforce any sort of QA on this
48 probably so close to zero it doesn't matter, but i'm not seeing
49 another way.
50
51 (outside of forcing the in-vdb deps to always remain satisfied, of
52 course; however i think the dependencies-get-upgraded-first approach
53 which is generally necessary for all but PDEPEND can still cause
54 breakage here too, no??)