From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@×××××.com>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ffmpeg vs libav choice of default
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 13:41:38
1 On 04/02/15 14:25, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
2 > By now it should be clear to most people that everything goes smoother,
3 > works better for the end user, and causes less breakage when *ffmpeg is the
4 > default, not libav*.
5
6 "Works better" is a matter of perception, if I (and the few that help me
7 not afraid of having rabid FFmpeg-fans bite them) fix the bulk of the
8 issues early surely those that use FFmpeg get a smoother experience.
9
10 Again it is one project parasiting everything the other does.
11
12 Currently I'm trying to get Libav not to drop the old APIs as hard as I
13 could so at least that part would be even.
14
15 Probably I should stop caring about the breakages myself and wait until
16 they hit FFmpeg and let other do the work so I can spend my spare time
17 in implementing more features instead.
18
19 lu