From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: USE=libav news item
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 15:31:17
1 Dnia 2015-01-26, o godz. 12:15:49
2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> napisał(a):
3
4 > Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Title: USE=libav introduction
6 > > Author: Micha?? G??rny <mgorny@g.o>
7 >
8 > Your mailer doesn't set charset for the .txt attachment.
9
10 NeedPatch :).
11
12 > > Content-Type: text/plain
13 > > Posted: 2015-01-yy
14 > > Revision: 1
15 > > News-Item-Format: 1.0
16 > > Display-If-Installed: media-video/ffmpeg
17 > > Display-If-Installed: media-video/libav
18 > >
19 > > The support for automatic choice between ffmpeg and libav is going to be
20 > > deprecated in favor of explicit choice via USE flags. This change aims
21 > > to solve multiple repeating issues, including Portage undesirably
22 > > wanting to replace one package with the other, subslot upgrade issues
23 > > and some of the hard-to-understand blocker issues.
24 > >
25 > > The current USE=ffmpeg will maintain its role of enabling optional
26 > > support for ffmpeg or a compatible implementation (libav) in a package.
27 > > However, whenever appropriate additional USE=libav will be introduced to
28 > > control the preference of libav over ffmpeg.
29 > >
30 > > Users who currently use libav (the Gentoo default) do not have to
31 > > perform any action since USE=libav is enabled by default. It should be
32 > > noted that those users will need to enable USE=ffmpeg on packages with
33 > > optional libav support as well.
34 >
35 > So far so good.
36 >
37 > > Users who want to use the ffmpeg fork instead need to specify USE=-libav
38 > > explicitly.
39 >
40 > "the ffmpeg fork" above is very confusing because libav is the ffmpeg
41 > fork, and I think what you mean here is simply "ffmpeg". I suggest:
42
43 Well, you aren't correct which of the two is actually the fork but I
44 can see the confusion.
45
46 > Users who want to use ffmpeg rather than libav where that is possible
47 > instead need to specify USE=-libav explicitly.
50 > > Please also note that some packages support only one of the two
51 > > implementations. An attempt to install one of those packages will result
52 > > in blockers unless the user changes the global USE=libav state.
53 >
54 > This isn't completely accurate.. It's enough to change USE=libav for
55 > the affected packages. I'm afraid I can't offer a wording suggestion
56 > on this one. :\
57
58 But you have to do the change on all packages using ffmpeg/libav. Since
59 all packages have to have exactly the same state, I don't really see
60 a point in not setting this a global flag.
63 Best regards,
64 Michał Górny