From: Jochen Maes <gentoo-dev@××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Delay in approval of new developers
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:17:36
1 Peter wrote:
2 > On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:15:14 +0200, Jochen Maes wrote:
3 >
4 > snip...
7 >>> glad you were an exception.
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >> glad i never knew you when i was a gentoo dev... I know one thing, you
12 >> won't ever get a hump out of me!
15 > You're arguing a different point. I was commenting on the time delay, and
16 > you responded with how difficult it is to be a recruiter. If the delay is
17 > long then there is a problem. If you run a business and you want to hire
18 > someone, yet you wait and wait and wait, it's quite possible the recruit
19 > may accept another position. That's a loss to you. Same with potential
20 > gentoo developers. When someone goes through the trouble to complete
21 > tests, work with his/her mentor, spend time on bz, etc., the least they
22 > can expect is courteous response when they choose to become a dev.
23 > Perusing through recruitment bugs, you can see long lapses. It IS
24 > inexcusable.
25 >
26 > Yes, everyone does gentoo voluntarily, but that does not mean less should
27 > be expected. It reminds me of the time my 5 year old cousin sadly was in
28 > the hospital, and the nurse needed to take yet another blood sample. The
29 > nurse said "I'm sorry I have to take blood again. I don't like to hurt
30 > little boys." To which my very sharp cousin replied, "So, why are you in
31 > this business?"
32 >
33 > If a gentoo dev joins a particular project to perform a particular task,
34 > he/she IS making a commitment to it. The dev should have known in advance
35 > what's expected and the time required. AFAIK recruiters are hardly
36 > overworked. There is no overfull pipeline of dev recruits banging on the
37 > doors.
38 >
39 > Simple courtesy requires they handle recruiting bugs quickly and
40 > efficiently with either a Welcome or a thumbs down. Dragging the
41 > recruitment out only makes it harder to get new recruits. They are, in
42 > effect, working against themselves and their own goal.
45 >> glad i never knew you when i was a gentoo dev
48 > I have been recruited 3 times to be a dev, and declined. I find the gentoo
49 > hierarchy and organization stifling and the amount of roadblocks to
50 > progress ridiculous.
51 >
52 > I appreciate your POV. Yes, you can't expect too much from volunteers.
53 > But, in a worldwide linux distribution, which is run more or less like a
54 > business, there is a higher standard that should be adhered to. I don't
55 > accept slackers or inefficiency in my business, and nor should gentoo.
56 >
57 > Why are you no longer a gentoo-dev, btw?
60 because i was sick of people discussing things that they knew shite
61 about and cluttering up the mailinglists.
62 you _can't_ compare gentoo with a business. simple as that
63 arf, why did i even start...
64
65 /me closes dev mailbox for another month
66 --
67 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list