From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidance on distributed patented software
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 21:09:22
1 (This is all tangential to the main issue of this thread and just
2 discussing internet history - skip as you wish...)
3
4 On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 2:14 PM Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > I am no expert on US law but from what I have read (in many different
7 > sources, with me having begun using PGP in either late 1996 or early
8 > 1997 i.e. when it was still very much subject to US export restrictions)
9 > about this case, both the publishing of the source-code book and it
10 > having subsequently been taken out of the country has been legal - the
11 > former due to publishing the first amendment
12
13 Well, based on the little I know of US export controls, I doubt that
14 being in book form vs some other form really has any bearing in
15 principle.
16
17 HOWEVER, I think it was probably done specifically as a challenge to
18 the constitutionality of the law. Ie, the argument would be that it
19 ought to be legal to take the source code out in any form. By doing
20 it via a formally published book though they take away all the "exotic
21 internetness" out of the equation and this way all the 60 year old
22 judges (in the 90s) who might get involved are forced to confront it
23 as suppression of book distribution. In principle though I think most
24 of us would agree that there is no difference in sharing information
25 no matter the way in which it is conveyed. It was probably their hope
26 that if it did go to court any ruling that secured the right to
27 distribute via book could then be leveraged against other modes.
28
29 I'm guessing that it was never challenged in court precisely for this
30 reason. US export controls cover the communication of information via
31 any mode:
32 https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports
33
34 If they had fought the export of this book it is quite possible that
35 there would have been a ruling that just finds all export controls to
36 be illegal. Really when you think about it any sort of restriction on
37 communication of classified information or whatever is going to run
38 into the 1st amendment. Courts are going to tend to make their
39 rulings on what can be restricted narrow as a result. The government
40 probably prefers to maintain some FUD around where those boundaries
41 lie, to get companies in particular to follow policies that in the end
42 might not be enforceable. (Note I'm not arguing that dissemination of
43 classified info ought to be legal, but as you move away from things
44 like locations of troops or blueprints of specific aircraft or
45 whatever, into more generic topics like entire classes of technology,
46 I think you're going down a slippery slope...)
47
48 The main reason that all of this went away though was that I think it
49 was Clinton that specifically granted an exception to cryptography
50 software from ITAR. The concerns were that the cat was basically out
51 of the bag anyway, and consumers were potentially going to be harmed
52 by things like web browsers getting distributed with 40-bit key
53 limitations. Sure, secure browsers were also probably available to
54 people who knew the right links to click, but do we really want
55 somebody reputable like Google to end up having to have a link on
56 their website for a non-secure version of their software, and where
57 the non-secure link just gives you a download, while the secure link
58 makes you jump through hoops to verify your location/etc? The popular
59 use of SSL for entering credit card info on e-commerce sites really
60 was what drove it IMO.
63 Rich