From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pending removal(?) of media-libs/pdflib
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:21:29
1 On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> that might disallow it for binaries, but it doesnt disallow it from
4 >> being used in ebuilds. same situation as binary kernel drivers --
5 >> make it the end user's problem.
6 >
7 > Why should we impose such trouble on our users, when there's a (IMHO
8 > superior) replacement? Build gnuplot with USE="cairo" and you can get
9 > PDF output with the "pdfcairo" terminal. Even with proper utf-8
10 > support, which was always broken with pdflib.
11
12 +1 to both - if a free alternative works then we should always prefer
13 it. However, at worst linking license issues should just force us to
14 set RESTRICT="bindist" or the like (and mirror as well if we can't
15 distribute the source). As long as users don't redistribute software
16 they don't need to worry about licenses if the person sending it to
17 them had the license to distribute it in the first place.
18
19 Rich