From: Henti Smith <bain@×××××××.za>
To: jesse <yoda@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:10:54
1 On 24 Jun 2003 16:04:58 -0700
2 jesse <yoda@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > isn't db a system lib .. and installed on every machine ?
5 > >
6 > > can't you just use that ?
7 >
8 > My proposition was to use some connector lib that is compatable with all
9 > those db formats. so you don't have to re-write a bunch of backend
10 > drivers or DB specific queries. Im not a python programmer C/Perl are my
11 > main forte, and you can use DBI to interface with many many db's as long
12 > as you keep your queries db agnostic, and use the dbi methods. At least
13 > with postgresql, mysql, and oracle to (some extent) this is the case.
14
15 but since the db system is already part of the default system, why not just use that.
16 It's really a system function .. and I knwo th "selectable" databse of choice is a nice to have
17 but do we (gentoo) really want people to run different DB's for portage backend stuff .. and handle the bug tracking hell that will result because of it ?
20 Henti Smith
21 bain@×××××××.za
22 Senior Administrator
23 The Computer-Smith Networking