From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Subcategory Capabilities?
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 12:57:06
1 On Monday 04 October 2004 5:34 am, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Georgi Georgiev wrote:
3 > > maillog: 04/10/2004-03:55:13(+0900): Chris White types
4 > > <snip>
5 > >
6 > >>Something like this might be a little nicer:
7 > >>
8 > >>media-sound/editors/audacity
9 > >>media-sound/players/xmms
10 > >>
11 > >>now let's say players gets way to huge:
12 > >>
13 > >>media-sound/players/mp3/
14 > >>media-sound/players/ogg/
15 > >
16 > > I personally like the idea. What about turning the first dash into a
17 > > slash as well?
18 > >
19 > > media/sound/editors/audacity
20 > > media/sound/players/xmms
21 > > media/sound/players/mp3/
22 > > media/sound/players/ogg/
23 >
24 > This has been brought up before in the past and been shot down, but I'll
25 > humor you. If support for this were to be added into Portage, there would
26 > be a few things to think about:
27 >
28 > 1) this will cause a performance hit no matter how it is done
29
30 What's this I've heard about Portage's performance not being a real issue?
31 (argument for not rewriting it in C/etc)
32
33 > 2) how will Portage know the difference between a package and another
34 > sub-category when it is walking the tree? It could do something like
35 > walking all the way to the end of the category/sub-category/sub-category
36 > tree until it finds .ebuild files and then backing up a level or 2 to
37 > determine the category, but again this would cause an enormous performance
38 > hit due to the additional required I/O.
39
40 Why not assume all [sub-]categories can also be meta-packages. Why emerge
41 kde-base/kde to get all of kde-base/* when you can just emerge kde-base
42 itself?
43
44 > 3) the many additional directories would cause an 'emerge sync' to take
45 > longer than it does now.
46
47 Then perhaps rsync isn't the proper program for updating the tree. Or maybe we
48 should finally implement fetch-on-demand...
51 > Basically, you'd be pissing everyone off with little benefit (except maybe
52 > to developer sanity). Keep in mind that I probably have absolutely no idea
53 > what I'm talking about and nothing I say should be accepted as fact without
54 > verifying it elsewhere.
55 --
56 Luke-Jr
57 Developer, Utopios