From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: virtual/libcrypt for libcrypt.so implementation
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 19:52:34
1 Given glibc upstream's tentative plans to remove libcrypt [1], I think
2 we should start working out the kinks well in advance. Toolchain has
3 already added a package.use.force-ed "crypt" USE flag to
4 sys-libs/glibc-2.30-r2 [2]. The main alternative out there is libxcrypt,
5 which I have recently bumped and added a package.use.mask-ed "system"
6 USE flag to make it provide the "system" version of libcrypt.so.
7
8 To give us time to work out dependencies in advance, I would like to
9 propose a virtual to provide libcrypt.so, and we can gradually update
10 all users of libcrypt to {R,}DEPEND on this virtual.
11
12 Maybe once this is in place and the obvious/common packages are
13 updated, we could request a tinderbox run to flush out what was missed.
16 [1] https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=NEWS;h=50479f17c9a3a5ef074dafa3f23aca954b82bd6a;hb=HEAD#l768
17 [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/699422

libcrypt-0.ebuild application/octet-stream