From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Profile masking and profiles package.mask
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:45:06
1 On Saturday 30 September 2006 00:40, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > For what I can tell, the current behaviour has the advantage of providing a
3 > different masking reason for packages that are *needed to some version* for
4 > the profile to be complete, and for packages that are know not to work on a
5 > profile.
6
7 isnt that the point of putting a comment above a mask ?
8 # this package wont work on this profile
9 bar/foo
10 # these versions are needed in this profile
11 =cat/meow-1*
12
13 > Example: Gentoo/FreeBSD relies on profiles masking for
14 > sys-freebsd/freebsd-* packages, as you should *not* use freebsd-lib 6.2 on
15 > the 6.1 profile, for instance; AMD64 no-multilib profiles use package.mask
16 > to mask packages that are known to be broken on that profile.
17 >
18 > In case of Gentoo/FreeBSD, it also means to have 3x entries for forcing
19 > versions of the packages on users.
20
21 i dont get it ... if you mask the versions in package.mask, why do you need a
22 packages entry at all ?
23
24 fbsd/packages:sys-freebsd/freebsd-mk-defs
25 fbsd/package.mask:<nothing>
26 fbsd/6.1/packages:<nothing>
27 fbsd/6.1/package.mask:>=sys-freebsd/freebsd-mk-defs-6.2
28 fbsd/6.2/packages:<nothing>
29 fbsd/6.2/package.mask:<nothing>
30
31 > Another reason I'd see for retain the current behaviour is that users are
32 > known to unmask stuff via package.unmask to try "might-be-broken" versions.
33
34 so what you're arguing is that we should retain the existing behavior because
35 users might try to unmask something properly ? trying to protect users from
36 shooting themselves in the foot by making the profile behavior more
37 complicated is a waste of time
38 -mike