From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 13:00:28
1 On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 12:14:47 -0400 Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 21/07/15 12:08 PM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
6 > > On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:10:52 -0500 J.Rutkowski wrote:
7 > >> The problem I have with using Sabayon to ultimately install
8 > >> Gentoo is it takes way too much work than just doing a Gentoo
9 > >> install...
10 > >
11 > > You missed my point. I'm interesting not in minimizing total time
12 > > spent for installation and configuration. I'm interested in fast
13 > > bootstrapping from "here your box" to "you need to have this work
14 > > done". Of course proper configuration and fine tuning will require
15 > > time, but this should be done later, not right away.
18 > The livedvd / liveusb images might support this better, then -- boot
19 > it, use an aufs overlay target to store environment changes for what
20 > you need right away, and then use 'em like a stage4 image on the main
21 > system later?
22
23 Live DVD images are often too old, unfortunately. E.g. on the
24 spring 2014 (when I had need for such fast install) the latest image
25 was from Dec 2012. Updating 1 year ~5 month old installation
26 afterwards is no fun. Right now dvd image is 11 month old, which is
27 no good too.
28
29 However, dvd images made no earlier than half a year ago from ~amd64
30 will be just fine for such needs.
31
32 Best regards,
33 Andrew Savchenko