From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites for net-wireless/ipw2100 and net-wireless/ipw2200
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:17:19
1 Christian Heim a écrit :
2 > Heya,
3 >
4 > net-wireless/ipw2100 and net-wireless/ipw2200 are both kernel drivers built as
5 > an external package through portage. The codebase currently in portage is the
6 > same that is present in any up-to-date kernel tarball (2.6.x).
7 >
8 > For this reason I am suggesting, everyone migrates to the in-kernel drivers.
9 >
10 > They can be found here:
11 >
12 > Networking --->
13 > Network device support --->
14 > [*] Network device support
15 > Wireless LAN (non-hamradio) --->
16 > [*] Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless Extensions
17 > <M> Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection
18 > <M> Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and 2915ABG Network Connection
19 >
20 > These will also enable the in-kernel version of the ieee80211 driver.
21 >
22 > As per summary, both packages are going to get punted from the tree. Both will
23 > vanish around sometime next January (I'd say 30 days from today - which makes
24 > it 21th January 2007).
25 >
26 > And to leave those of you, who already use the in-kernel driver relaxed, the
27 > firmware images are not going to get removed as they are still needed for the
28 > in-kernel drivers.
31 On second thoughts, I'll raise a small objection to the removal. Latest
32 gentoo version is 1.2.0 while the kernel (gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r2) says
33 to contain 1.1.4. I know that difference isn't exactly huge, but still,
34 it's a step backwards.
35
36 On a side note, how do I tell the in-kernel driver where to find the
37 firmware? Apparently, it's having issues loading it.
38
39 As for the package, as I am myself a user of ipw2200, I could help out
40 with whatever tasks are needed to maintain this package (if needed)
41
42 Cheers,
43
44 Rémi