From: scott worley <folokai@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] handling of usb in init scripts
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:55:52
1 Daniel Robbins wrote:
2
3 >On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 01:01:45PM -0700, scott worley wrote:
4 >
5 >>Hi,
6 >>
7 >>Running rc6-r12. I'm no init expert but it appears the localmount
8 >>script assumes usbcore support is compiled, not modularized. I rebuilt
9 >>the kernel will all usb as modules so /proc/bus/usb does not exist until
10 >>the usbcore module is loaded, therefore mounting of usbdevfs fails. I
11 >>can change localmount to load usbcore but in the general case the script
12 >>needs to detect whether usbcore is modularized or not so no error is
13 >>generated by trying to load a module which doesn't exist. Should this
14 >>be done in localmount or in the script which mounts the root filesystem r/w?
15 >>
16 >
17 >See if this new localmount script works for you:
18 >(attached) Let me know if it does.
19 >
20 >Best Regards,
21 >
22 >
23 >------------------------------------------------------------------------
24 >
25 >#!/sbin/runscript
26 >
27 >depend() {
28 > need checkfs
29 >}
30 >
31 >start() {
32 > # Mount local filesystems in /etc/fstab.
33 > ebegin "Mounting local filesystems"
34 > mount -at nonfs,noproc,noncpfs,nosmbfs,noshm
35 > eend $?
36 > if [ -z "`grep usbdevfs /proc/filesystems`" ]
37 > then
38 > modprobe usbcore
39 > fi
40 > if [ -n "`grep usbdevfs /proc/filesystems`" ] && [ -e /proc/bus/usb ] && [ ! -e /proc/bus/usb/devices ]
41 > then
42 > ebegin "Mounting USB device filesystem"
43 > mount -t usbdevfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb
44 > eend $?
45 > fi
46 > #swap on loopback devices, and other weirdnesses
47 > ebegin "Activating (possibly) more swap"
48 > /sbin/swapon -a >/dev/null 2>&1
49 > eend
50 > return
51 >}
52 >
53 Daniel,
54
55 It loads the usb module okay but the error message I'm seeing is because
56 of the usbdevfs entry in /etc/fstab. Once I commented that fstab entry
57 out then the init was flawless.
58
59 I added usb-ohci and printer to /etc/modules and the system found the
60 usb printer.
61
62 Thanks,
63 scott worley