From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE variables in SRC_URI
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 13:00:02
1 > You actually can't do it that way, because it will cause incomplete digests
2 > to be generated if "foo" isn't set in USE. The new system auto-adjusts so
3 > that maintainers always generate correct digests, but normal users only
4 > need to download the files they need.
5
6 As I understand this, you download everything if MAINTAINER is set. Then, I
7 suppose, you also get a ${A} with all the files you downloaded and you unpack
8 them all.
9
10 Normally this isn't a problem, but in theory: an ebuild might use ${A} to do
11 some "for x in" etc. processing to avoid putting use flag tests in both
12 SRC_URI and every function. (Together with DEPEND and RDEPEND there are 5
13 places where you typically query use flags, plus the 4 pkg_ functions.) This
14 is a very rare case, but after working with eclasses I'm used to thinking in
15 a generic way about these things.
16
17 So: I propose that to make ebuilds behave the same way regardless of
18 MAINTAINER, we should set $A the proper way, and download all files anyway.
19
20 Perhaps you think this issue isn't very important; I admit I never wrote or
21 saw an ebuild that behaved like this. But they might.
25 Dan Armak
26 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
27 Matan, Israel