From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 09:16:28
1 On 04/17/2015 07:15 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Alexander Berntsen
3 > <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On 17/04/15 16:33, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
6 >>> The problem is double effort: previously one developer effort was
7 >>> needed, now effort is doubled at least
8 >> You have correctly identified the problem; in order to do things
9 >> properly one must do things properly, which is more difficult than not
10 >> doing things properly.
13 > "Properly" is just a matter of requirements. Gentoo has 18k packages
14 > right now. In my general experience, they install fine maybe 95% of
15 > the time.
18 Can you back up your "general experience" with a tinderbox log? In
19 addition, you are decreasing "QA" to "compiles". That's not the definition.
20
21 > Right now we
22 > end up dropping packages because we can't find one person to maintain
23 > them. With a review workflow we'll drop packages if we can't find two
24 > people to maintain them.
25
26 Nah, that's really not true. With a review workflow there is less need
27 for actual maintainers! That's the whole point.
30 I am really confused. I guess some people have never really been in a
31 different workflow than gentoo to know that it's really not
32 state-of-the-art. And it really isn't. Not even for distros.