From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Moving real multilib support into main tree portage with request for council decision
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:21:18
1 Hi together,
2
3 as announced in a previous mail, i created a fork of portage, which has support to create 32bit libs
4 during compile phase for 64bit platforms (currently amd64 tested, ppc64 untested).
5
6 In short, it does execute every src_* phase twice with keeping a workdir for every ABI and saving
7 some default environment vars (like *FLAGS). Since the current ABI is the last one in this order,
8 the 64bit phase will overwrite everthing from 32bit phase except those parts, which have a different
9 install location, so mostly libs, which go in lib32 instead of lib64.
10
11 A current ebuild and docs for using it are currently in the portage-multilib branch of the multilib
12 overlay.
13
14 I asked zmedico about inclusion into the main svn tree of portage, but he requested a council ok
15 before he would be accepting it. So this is my request for discussion and ok (in tomorrows or the
16 following meeting) from the council.
20 Thomas Sachau
21
22 Gentoo Linux Developer