From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] [epatch_user] Proposal: add possibility to tolerable-fail for some patches (plus add groupping support)
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 23:48:19
1 Tom Wijsman posted on Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:19:54 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:06:57 +0700 "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov"
4 > <mva@×××.name> wrote:
5 >
6 >> My idea is to allow failing for some patches without breaking build at
7 >> all. And, in parallel, to add groupping.
8 >>
9 >> [...]
10 >>
11 >> Any objections/approvals/suggestions?
12 >
13 > What are the use cases of this idea? What is its goal?
14 >
15 > In my use case, I've found or written patches with a permanent purpose;
16 > therefore, I'd like the patches to apply or die hard with a purpose.
17 > I can't imagine an use case where you don't want them to apply.
18
19 Indeed. If the patches no longer apply, I want to know it so I can
20 either clean them out or generate fresh patches that apply to the new
21 code.
22
23 So far you (OP) have unanimous rejection, but that may simply be because
24 we don't see that use-case. So let's see the use-case first, and if that
25 is agreed to be useful enough, there's still some change to either change
26 opinion, or perhaps come up with a less objectionable way to support that
27 use-case without the severe down sides of the current proposal.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman