From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] gtk/gtk2/gtk3 USE flag situation
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 15:17:56
1 Ühel kenal päeval, R, 27.05.2016 kell 13:14, kirjutas Anthony G.
2 Basile:
3 > On 5/27/16 12:59 PM, rindeal wrote:
4 > > On 27 May 2016 at 18:54, landis blackwell <blackwelllandis@×××××.co
5 > > m> wrote:
6 > > > I stopped reading after you reminded me it was 2016
7 > >
8 > > Good to know, thanks for stopping by.
11 > Yeah the "its <current> year" meme has been making its rounds of the
12 > internet.
13 >
14 > anyhow, my 2017 question is about avahi.  right now i have USE=gtk
15 > and
16 > gtk3, where gtk really means gtk2.  i'm not going to change that
17 > because
18 > it fits QA's specs.  but i could remove it altogether and just drop
19 > gtk2
20 > support for the next release.  good idea?  bad idea?  i guess i'm
21 > asking
22 > whats the status of gtk2 in gentoo seeing as its dead upstream.
23
24 Instead you should have 3 packages here.
25
26 avahi that ships the non-gtk linking bits.
27 avahi-gtk2 that ships the gtk2 library.
28 avahi-gtk3 that ships the gtk3 library.
29
30 This wasn't done originally as we lacked the manpower there and hoped
31 that gtk2 consumers will go away soon anyway. If that isn't the case,
32 the work should be done long ago. I hear there have been various
33 dependency issues already anyways due to the splitting not having been
34 done.
35
36 If there are no more avahi-gtk2 consumers, you could drop the gtk2
37 support altogether and maybe not need the splitting.
38 Then the question is if you name it USE="gtk" or USE="gtk3" to build
39 the gtk3 component.
40 Either way, consumers would USE depend correctly on which they need - I
41 don't think it's magical, so consumers would always actually link to it
42 and a clear USE depend can be in place.
43
44 So in an ideal world, you wouldn't have any USE=gtk* whatsoever here
45 anyways.
48 Mart